How Bed Bugs Can Find Their Way Into Your Tampa Home
February 14, 2022 - Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are one of the most worrisome pests to find in your home. Not only do they cause bites and leave unsightly stains on bedding and furniture, but having bed bugs can also cause mental health issues. The stress and anxiety of dealing with an infestation can affect your daily life and even cause insomnia.
Bed bugs find their way into Tampa homes in a number of different ways. It's important to know how these pests get from place to place in order to prevent an infestation. Although these bugs are difficult to eradicate using do-it-yourself bed bug control remedies, today's Tampa pest control solutions are extremely effective. Read on to learn more about how bed bugs infest homes and why you should call Haskell Termite & Pest Control to get rid of these pests for good.
Obvious Signs Of Bed Bugs In Your Home
There are several ways to tell if you have a bed bug infestation. Here are some of the most common signs to look for:
- Small, itchy red bumps that appear mysteriously at night (bed bug bites)
- An unusual, musty odor
- Tiny black or brown spots (bed bug fecal matter)
- Pinhead-sized ovals attached to surfaces (eggs)
- Bed bug shell casings from them shedding
- Small red or rust-colored stains on your bedding or mattress (bloodstains from feeding)
- Finding live bed bugs throughout your home or on belongings
As soon as you notice any of these telltale signs, it's time to schedule professional pest control to kill bed bugs.
How Bed Bugs Hitch Rides On People And Things
An essential part of preventative bed bug control is understanding how bed bugs wind up in people's homes. Bed bugs are known to be expert travelers, latching onto whatever they can to get to their next location. One of the major sources of bed bug infestations is hotel rooms. These pests make their way into luggage, where they are then carried into the home. They also hitch rides on public transportation and airplanes.
Bed bugs are also known to hide within used furniture. You may also find them within cushions in public places like theaters, bus and train stations, and airports. Once they find their way inside a house, bed bugs spread out across their new habitat and make themselves comfortable. No space is too small for these pests, and homeowners have even found them inside electrical outlets, in phones, and behind paintings and wall fixtures.
Easy Tips To Prevent From Bringing Bed Bugs Into Your Home
The best natural pest control for bed bugs is to prevent them from getting into your home in the first place. Here are some top tips to stop a bed bug infestation before it starts:
- Store your items in airtight plastic containers.
- Vacuum and dust your home regularly.
- Thoroughly inspect hotel rooms upon arrival, including checking the mattress.
- Wash your sheets once a week using your washer's highest temperature.
- Do not pick up used furniture from the curb.
- Wash all clothing immediately after returning from a trip.
- Inspect and thoroughly clean all luggage after traveling.
Even the best preventive measures can sometimes fail. If you find bed bugs in your home, professional pest control is your best bet for completely eliminating an infestation.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Your Home
Hiring an experienced pest control professional is the most effective way to get rid of a bed bug infestation. Haskell Termite & Pest Control is a trusted source of bed bug pest control in Tampa. Our staff has a combined experience of over 100 years, and we are CTE certified. As the largest fumigation company in West Florida, we're experts in making homes bed bug-free. Give us a call today to learn more about our quality pest control solutions.
Knowledgeable and excellent service very professional