What are cockroaches?
In general, cockroaches have flat, oval-shaped bodies. They also have six legs and long antennae. A cockroach's ability to fly depends on the species; however, most cockroaches are fast runners.
Several species of cockroaches are common in Florida:
- German cockroaches are the most common home-invading species. They are light brown, have two parallel stripes behind their head, and grow between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch long.
- American cockroaches are the largest home-invading species. They can grow up to 2 inches long, are reddish-brown, and have a yellowish figure-eight pattern behind their head.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are about 1/2 an inch long, light brown, and have two darker bands around their bodies.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Cockroaches have strong immune systems, which allow them to live in some of the dirtiest places. Because of this, cockroaches can carry and spread many dangerous pathogens. These pathogens can cause dysentery, cholera, E. coli, salmonellosis, and more. Cockroaches can also affect allergies and asthma and contaminate food as they leave waste and shed skin around a home.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
If you have cockroaches in your home, it is likely due to three factors; access to food, availability of moisture, and accessibility. Cockroaches are scavengers, so they will take the opportunity to squeeze through tight cracks to get to food, which can be crumbs, garbage, leather goods, glue, and much more, as they aren't picky. Because of the humidity in Florida, homes here are more susceptible to pests like cockroaches that like moisture.
Cockroaches can get inside through cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, drains, vents, and other openings.
Where will I find cockroaches?
There are several typical hotspots that cockroaches will gravitate to on residential properties. These areas include kitchens, bathrooms, around garbage cans, under sinks and appliances, and inside closets. If you have cockroaches in your home, you likely will not see them right away but will see signs such as chew marks, pepper-like droppings, shed skins, and smear marks. A musty odor can also accompany a cockroach infestation.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Cockroaches are notoriously difficult to get rid of without professional help. Contact Haskell Termite & Pest Control; we offer services to treat the different types of cockroaches you might experience.
For German cockroaches, we use a special fogging treatment. But before we implement any treatments, we always inspect to decide on the best approach. In extreme cockroach infestations, we offer fumigation services.
Want to learn more about our cockroach control services? Give us a call at Haskell Termite & Pest Control!
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
To keep cockroaches from becoming a problem in your home again, you should use the following prevention tips:
- Keep your yard maintained, which should include keeping your lawn and any foliage cut short, removing organic debris, and clearing gutters.
- Decrease the moisture in your home by using dehumidifiers, fixing leaks, and replacing anything that has been water-damaged.
- Make food inaccessible by cleaning up crumbs, using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids, and storing food properly.
- Reduce entry points by inspecting your home's exterior for any cracks and gaps that cockroaches can squeeze through and installing screens and vent covers where necessary.
To avoid any future cockroach infestations, you should implement these prevention tips along with our cockroach control services in the Tampa Bay area. Ask our technicians at Haskell Termite & Pest Control how you can protect your home.
Great service and value! Being a local Realtor, I have referred Haskell to my customers and they have always thanked me for the referral. I have had them service my own home and have been quite pleased with both their professional and their expertise. I would refer Haskell to anyone who is seeking an extermination service, you will be happy with both their expertise and the value that they offer.