What are fleas?
Fleas are difficult to see with the naked eye and will only look like tiny black specks. However, with magnification, you will find that they are reddish-brown. They also have six long, powerful legs that end in claws.
Animals with fur are the chosen hosts for fleas because these external parasites breed best in long fur. While this is the case, fleas will still bite people, usually around the ankles.
Are fleas dangerous?
Although tiny, fleas can be dangerous to both people and animals. Fleas spread plague, tularemia, and typhus when they bite people and can also cause tapeworms if digested. Like other pest infestations, living with fleas can cause high stress and insomnia, leading to other health concerns. Bites from these pests can also lead to secondary infections due to excessive scratching.
Why do I have a flea problem?
If you have pets in your home, they likely encountered another animal with fleas or spent time outside in a flea hotspot and brought the fleas indoors with them. However, pets aren’t the only way fleas can get inside. Other ways they can become a problem in your home include through an infestation of wildlife or rodents or on secondhand items brought inside.
Where will I find fleas?
When an animal with fleas comes into your yard, it can drop eggs. If fleas aren’t living on a host, they like moist, shady areas. These areas include:
- Tall grass
- Leaf piles
- Thick foliage
How do I get rid of fleas?
If you are dealing with a flea problem on your Florida property, you should contact us at Haskell Termite & Pest Control. Our flea control process in the Tampa area uses yard sprays, and with this service, we provide a 30-day guarantee.
To learn more about our flea control services and how we can help with fleas and other pests, call us at Haskell Termite & Pest Control.
How can I prevent fleas in the future?
Due to the way fleas infest properties, you will need to utilize preventative pest control measures to help keep them from coming back again after implementing professional home pest control services. Below are some preventive measures you should use:
- Keep your yard maintained by cutting the grass short, trimming foliage, and removing unnecessary debris to help remove shade and moisture.
- Install fencing around your property to help keep wildlife out. It will also deter wildlife if you remove bird feeders and other food sources.
- Inspect your home to ensure there are no potential entry points for rodents and wildlife to get inside.
- Keep your home clean by vacuuming regularly, especially around pet bedding, to remove any fleas or eggs before they can spread.
- Make sure your pet has flea protection by consulting with your veterinarian.
Our technicians at Haskell Termite & Pest Control can answer any questions you have about flea prevention and the services we provide, so call today to find out more!
Knowledgeable and excellent service very professional