What are rodents?
Rodents are mammals that share a couple of characteristics. First, they all belong to the order Rodentia, and second, they all have continuously growing front incisors and lack canine teeth.
Most of the 2,000 species of rodents living worldwide live outside and well away from people; however, a few have made themselves known as common household pests. Some of the most common rodents that find their way into Tampa Bay area homes include mice, rats, and squirrels.
Are rodents dangerous?
Rodents are common characters in children's stories, mascots of amusement parks, and they are also sold as pets, so sometimes we forget wild rodents are dangerous to have in our homes. There are many reasons why these dangerous critters should never be allowed free reign in our homes.
- Rodents spread diseases that make people quite ill, like hantavirus, leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, and salmonellosis.
- They introduce parasites into our yards and homes.
- They use their sharp front teeth to chew through and damage wires, pipes, cables, drywall, and flooring.
- Rodents gnaw their way into food packaging resulting in food contamination and food waste.
- When rodents move in and out of your home, they can damage its exterior.
If rodents find their way into your house, don't delay seeking help. The longer these pests are in your home, the more of a threat they become!
Why do I have a rodent problem?
The reason rodents are a recurring problem in our Tampa Bay area homes and businesses is simple; they provide the things they want. Like other living things, rodents like to live close to food sources. Our gardens, fruit trees, outdoor eating areas, bird feeders, and kitchens supply rodents with an almost never-ending food supply.
Living with people greatly benefits rodents, in addition to food; our yards and the interior of our homes provide them with ample places to hide. Rodents are naturally reclusive, wanting to stay hidden from predators; therefore, the more vegetation and clutter found on a property, the more attractive it is to rodents.
Where will I find rodents?
If you have ever asked yourself the question "what's in my attic," the answer is probably rodents. While rodents naturally live outside, especially in Florida because of our warm temperatures, these pests regularly find their way into our homes. Over time, rodents have adapted to living with people. Though they like to hide their presence, they are comfortable living behind our home's walls, in our chimneys or attics, and behind large pieces of furniture or appliances. Once they become comfortable in a home, they are difficult to get out and keep out without the help of an experienced professional!
How do I get rid of rodents?
Get rid of rodents from your Tampa Bay area home in the easiest and most stress-free way possible, with the help of the experienced team at Haskell Termite & Pest Control! We are proud to be the largest family owned and operated pest control company in Tampa Bay, Florida.
Since 1992 we have provided our customers with total home pest control treatments and the routine treatments necessary to eliminate rodents and other common household pests from Tampa Bay area properties. If you are looking for the best option to get rid of rodents from your Florida home, look no further than Haskell Termite & Pest Control. Call today for more information!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Implement the following strategies to help stop rodents from taking over your property:
- Remove harborage spots from your yard by removing debris and keeping shrubs, bushes, and trees well-trimmed.
- Regularly mow your lawn to prevent its grass from overgrowing
- Keep outdoor eating areas that you and your pets use free of leftover food.
- Remove bird feeders and other wild animal feeders from your property.
- Routinely vacuum your floors and wipe off counters.
- Regularly move large appliances like stoves and fridges to eliminate any crumbs behind them.
- Take away entry points by repairing any holes or openings you find in your home's exterior.
In conjunction with the above pest prevention tips, partnering with Haskell Termite & Pest Control is the best way to guard your Tampa Bay area home against the many rodents that call Florida home!
Efficient, effective and trustworthy. After using them, I paid the annual insurance in case the drywood termites came back. When they did come back, Haskell promptly re-tented the house - no arguing, no cost to me.