June marks Bed Bug Prevention Month, and it’s also the start of bed bug season, when these pests are most active. But what do bed bugs look like? How do you get bed bugs? And where do bed bugs come from? These are all important questions, and knowing the answer can help you prepare against the risk of an infestation.
Here’s what Tampa homeowners should know about who’s more susceptible to a bed bug bite, signs of a bed bug infestation, tips for better bed bug control, and how professional pest control in Tampa can help you get rid of these pests.
Do Bed Bugs Only Bite Certain People?
If you’re dealing with a bed bug infestation, you may feel like these bugs only target certain people. You may feel like you’re constantly covered in bites, but your spouse or sibling doesn’t have a scratch on them. Is there a reason for this, and do bed bugs only bite certain people?
As odd as it may seem, bed bugs do not target or try to bite certain people more than others. As long as you are human, you’re just as susceptible to a bed bug bite as anyone else. However, some people may seem unaffected because not everyone has the same physical reaction to a bite. The itchy, red welt that gets left behind when bed bugs bite is actually an allergic reaction.
Someone who lives with bed bugs and doesn’t seem to have any bites may still be getting bitten – their body may just not have the physical reaction to the bite. Depending on the person, reactions to a bed bug bite can vary. While some people seem to have minimal to no reaction, others could have large, red welts that last for days or even full-body reactions.
Signs You May Be Dealing With A Bed Bug Infestation
How do you know if you have bed bugs? Although these critters are most active at night and may be hard to spot, some of the signs of a bed bug infestation include:
- There’s an odd, musty odor lingering around your bedroom or home, which comes from the scent glands of bed bugs
- You notice bed bug eggs, fecal spots, or discarded skin in areas of high activity, like mattresses or box springs
- There’s tiny, dark, rusty stains on your sheets, pillowcases, mattresses, or other furniture
- You find live or dead bed bugs, which have flat, oval-shaped bodies and dark coloring
- You or someone in the house constantly wakes up with itchy welts after sleeping
Keep in mind that bed bug infestations aren't limited to bedrooms or sleeping areas. While these tend to be high-activity areas, any place in the house where there’s regular human activity could house bed bugs.
Five Tips To Keep Bed Bugs Out Of Your Home
How do bed bugs start? Here are five major tips for keeping these pests out of your home any time of the year:
- Inspect mattresses, sheets, and lodging areas for signs of bed bugs when you stay at hotels, motels, or anywhere outside the home.
- Don’t store luggage or other personal items under the bed or on the floor at hotel or motel rooms.
- Wash clothing and luggage immediately after you return home from traveling.
- Always check secondhand furniture and appliances for signs of bed bugs before bringing them into your home.
- Try to store personal belongings in plastic containers and use dust mite-proof encasements for your box spring and mattress.
Unlike other pests, bed bugs get around by traveling on our belongings from place to place. They may catch a ride home with you if you spend time in a hotel, friend’s house, or public area with bed bugs.
Professional Bed Bug Control For Bed Bug Prevention Month
Whether you’re worried you’ve got an infestation or you just need more tips to prevent these pests during bed bug prevention month, Haskell Termite & Pest Control has got you covered any time of the year. With over a hundred years of combined experience in the pest control industry, our specialists are well-equipped to handle bed bug infestations of every size in your Tampa home.
If you suspect you may have bed bugs in your home, there’s only one solution – contact us today at Haskell Termite & Pest Control to get started with our bed bug control service.
Knowledgeable and excellent service very professional