What You Should Know If You Spot Carpenter Ants On Your Property
January 30, 2022 - Carpenter Ants
When was the last time you spotted an ant inside your home? Last month? Last week? Today? Most people do not think about the ants crawling around in their living areas or that they might be carpenter ants. What are carpenter ants? Carpenter ants are an invasive species that live in our area and like to build their nests inside the structural wood of properties. If you are looking to keep carpenter ants in Tampa away from your home’s wood, here is what you should know.
Easy-To-Spot Signs Of Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants are not the most destructive pests here in Tampa. That title goes to the termite. One thing that makes termites more destructive than carpenter ants in Tampa is how quietly and discreetly they chew through wood. When carpenter ants damage wood, they leave behind some noticeable signs. Here are just a few easy-to-spot signs of carpenter ants to help you identify these pests.
- Pin sized holes running in and out of your home’s wood
- Frass (sawdust) around and beneath these pin-sized holes
- Large red, black, or red and black ants, with large heads, crawling around inside your home
- A rustling noise coming from inside wood
- Hollow sounding wood
- Winged carpenter ants crawling out from ceilings, walls, and other hidden places
Why Carpenter Ants Are Such A Problem On Your Property
Although carpenter ants are not as problematic as termites, they are still very problematic. These pests chew intricate galleyways through structural wood. These gallyways slowly weaken the condition of properties and eventually lead to severe structural problems if not addressed. One thing that sets carpenter ants apart from termites is that they spend a good amount of time outside the wood. They regularly climb onto countertops and tables, contaminating food and beverages.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Carpenter Ants To Your Property
One thing you should know about carpenter ants in Tampa is that they do not consume wood. They mainly use wood to build their nests. More specifically, carpenter ants chew tunnels into structures of wood that are softened by water damage, rot, or decay. To make sure your home and outbuildings do not have softened wood, thoroughly inspect them and address any issues you find. Another thing that attracts carpenter ants is food and moisture. Here are five good ways to limit their access to these things inside your home.
- Clean your living areas regularly and do your best to keep up with organization and clutter reduction.
- Store all of your leftover food inside airtight containers, including pet food and pantry items.
- Wipe up moisture spills that occur inside your home.
- Make sure all of your pipes, fixtures, and gutters are in good working order.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors, especially in humid rooms.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Carpenter Ants
If you have recently noticed signs of carpenter ants inside your Tampa home and are looking for a fast way to get these pests out, we have options for you here at Haskell Termite & Pest Control. We understand how to get rid of carpenter ants and will be more than happy to schedule an appointment for your Tampa home. All of our team members are highly trained and equipped with advanced ant treatments so that they can address whatever size problem you are facing.
Very competitive and responsive I was need the Service for asap and they worked with me to accommodate their schedule to help me. I will recommend...